Sunday, February 13, 2011

Make Way For Ducklings

This is a rare glimpse into the window of my childhood between when my mother died and my father remarried.  I am feeding ducks at the summer cottage of close family friends.  If you look closely, you can see that I am wearing a belly shirt.  Not necessarily obscene for an 8 year old, but probably not what my mother would have allowed under her supervision.  My father was trying his best.  He braided my hair that day and many other days for several years.  Our relationship is not always easy to handle.  A loss of that kind of magnitude-a mother, a wife- brings families together but also creates devastating divisions.   

Valentine's Day four years ago (the big special one with the surprise snow day) fell on a Wednesday.  My dad came over to visit me at school the following Saturday, knowing that I was still sad from my recent breakup.  He brought me flowers and took me out to dinner.  Today he gave me my favorite Gerber daisies and a book of e.e. cummings poetry.  

Song of the Day: You Are My Sunshine 

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.  Tomorrow and the next day and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment