Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Sundance - 3/06

*There's blood in my mouth 'cause I've been biting my tongue all week*
-Rilo Kiley

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. The gateway drug. The ongoing habit. 
What happens when you find yourself, intentionally or unintentionally, in the shoes of the other Boleyn girl? What happens to your identity? What happens to your pretty little head?
And then what happens when you're--oh no, oh God, what do i? how? how do i? --on the other side of the fence.
To the backdrop of the quiet spring rain, tonight's Sundance is dedicated to that other, shared love.

Song of the night: Stay by Sugarland.  This is the song that sold me on Jennifer Nettles voice but that's not really important.  What matters is the portrait it paints of infidelity and the things it made me realize about my own ventures into that territory.

Forgive us our trespasses and lead us not into temptation, we pray.  But isn't that kind of backwards? I don't know. I don't know what order things go in. I don't know what order I and the other girl--or is it the other girl and I?--go in. The order in which the other women and I go.  The order in which the other women and I are privileged. I know it's not as simple as having or not having sex with someone else. Something tells me I have a lot more to learn.

Poetry of the night: Leda and the Swan by W.B. Yeats

Leda and the Swan

A sudden blow: the great wings beating still
Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed
By the dark webs, her nape caught in his bill,
He holds her helpless breast upon his breast.

How can those terrified vague fingers push
The feathered glory from her loosening thighs?
And how can body, laid in that white rush,
But feel the strange heart beating where it lies?

A shudder in the loins engenders there
The broken wall, the burning roof and tower
And Agamemnon dead.
                    Being so caught up,
So mastered by the brute blood of the air,
Did she put on his knowledge with his power
Before the indifferent beak could let her drop?
                        
*Did she put on his knowledge with his power?*


No comments:

Post a Comment